Revised: September 15, 2017
2020欧洲杯在线网址The purpose of this policy is to establish broad curriculum parameters for the school district that encompass the Minnesota Graduation Standards and federal Law and are aligned with creating the world’s best workforce.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
It is the policy of the school district to establish the “world’s best workforce” in which all learning in the school district should be directed and for which all school district learners should be held accountable.
A. “Academic standard” means a summary description of student learning in A required content area or elective content area.
2020欧洲杯在线网址B. “Benchmark” means specific knowledge or skill that a student must master to complete part of an academic standard by the end of the grade level or grade band.
2020欧洲杯在线网址C. “Curriculum” means district or school adopted programs and written plans for providing students with learning experiences that lead to expected knowledge, skills, and career and college readiness.
2020欧洲杯在线网址D. “Instruction” means methods of providing learning experiences that enable students to meet state and district academic standards and graduation requirements.
2020欧洲杯在线网址E. “Performance measures” are measures to determine school district and school site progress in striving to create the world’s best workforce and must include at least the following:
2020欧洲杯在线网址1. the size of the academic achievement gap and rigorous course taking, including college-level advanced placement, international baccalaureate, postsecondary enrollment options including concurrent enrollment, other rigorous courses of study or industry certification courses or programs and enrichment experiences by student subgroup;
2020欧洲杯在线网址2. student performance on the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessments;
2020欧洲杯在线网址3. high school graduation rates; and
2020欧洲杯在线网址4. career and college readiness under Minn. Stat. § 120B.30, Subd. 1.
2020欧洲杯在线网址F. “World’s best workforce” means striving to: meet school readiness goals; have all third grade students achieve grade-level literacy; close the academic achievement gap among all racial and ethnic groups of students and between students living in poverty and students not living in poverty; have all students attain career and college readiness before graduating from high school; and have all students graduate from high school.
G. “Experiential learning” means learning for students that includes career exploration through a specific class or course or through work-based experiences such as job shadowing, mentoring, entrepreneurship, service learning, volunteering, internships, other cooperative work experience, youth apprenticeship, or employment.
IV. LONG-TERM STRATEGIC PLAN
A. The school board, at a public meeting, shall adopt a comprehensive, long-term strategic plan to support and improve teaching and learning that is aligned with creating the world’s best workforce and includes the following:
1. clearly defined school district and school site goals and benchmarks for instruction and student achievement for all nine student categories identified under the federal 2001 No Child Left Behind Act and two student gender categories of male and female;
2020欧洲杯在线网址2. a process to assess and evaluate each student’s progress toward meeting state and local academic Standards, assess and identify students for participation in gifted and talented programs and accelerate their instruction, adopt procedures for early admission to kindergarten or first grade of gifted and talented learners which are sensitive to underrepresented groups, and identify the strengths and weaknesses of instruction in pursuit of student and school success and curriculum affecting students’ progress and growth toward career and college readiness and leading to the world’s best workforce;
3. a system to periodically review and evaluate the effectiveness of all instruction and curriculum, taking into account strategies and best practices, student outcomes, principal evaluations under Minn. Stat. § 123B.147, Subd. 3, students’ access to effective teachers who are members of population under-represented among the licensed teachers in the district or school and who reflect the diversity of enrolled students under Minn Stat.§ 120B.35, Subd. 3(b)(2), and teacher evaluations under Minn. Stat. § 122A.40, Subd. 8, or 122A.41, Subd. 5;
2020欧洲杯在线网址4. strategies for improving instruction, curriculum, and student achievement, including the English and, where practicable, the native language development and the academic achievement of English learners;
2020欧洲杯在线网址5. A process to examine the equitable distribution of teachers and strategies to ensure low-income and minority children are not taught at higher rates than other children by inexperienced, ineffective, or out-of-field teachers:
6. education effectiveness practices that integrate high-quality instruction, rigorous curriculum, technology, and a collaborative professional culture that develops and supports teacher quality, performance, and effectiveness; and;
2020欧洲杯在线网址7. an annual budget for continuing to implement the school district plan.
B. School district site and school site goals shall include the following:
2020欧洲杯在线网址1. All students will be required to demonstrate essential skills to effectively participate in lifelong learning.* These skills include the following:
a. reading, writing, speaking, listening, and viewing in the English language;
2020欧洲杯在线网址b. mathematical and scientific concepts;
c. locating, organizing, communicating, and evaluating information and developing methods of inquiry (i.e. problem solving);
2020欧洲杯在线网址d. creative and critical thinking, decision making, and study skills;
2020欧洲杯在线网址e. work readiness skills;
f. global and cultural understanding.
2020欧洲杯在线网址2. Each student will have the opportunity and will be expected to develop and apply essential knowledge that enables that student to:
a. live as a responsible, productive citizen and consumer within local, state, national, and global political, social, and economic systems;
b. bring many perspectives, including historical, to contemporary issues;
c. develop an appreciation and respect for democratic institutions;
d. communicate and relate effectively in languages and with cultures other than the student’s own;
e. practice stewardship of the land, natural resources, and environment;
f. use a variety of tools and technology to gather and use information, enhance learning, solve problems, and increase human productivity.
3. Students will have the opportunity to develop creativity and self-expression through visual and verbal images, music, literature, world languages, movement, and the performing arts.
4. School practices and instruction will be directed toward developing within each student a positive self-image and a sense of personal responsibility for:
a. establishing and achieving personal and career goals;
b. adapting to change;
c. leading a healthy and fulfilling life, both physically and mentally;
2020欧洲杯在线网址d. living a life that will contribute to the well-being of society;
2020欧洲杯在线网址e. becoming a self-directed learner;
f. exercising ethical behavior.
2020欧洲杯在线网址5. Students will be given the opportunity to acquire human relations skills necessary to:
a. appreciate, understand, and accept human diversity and interdependence;
b. address human problems through team effort;
2020欧洲杯在线网址c. resolve conflicts with and among others;
2020欧洲杯在线网址d. function constructively within a family unit;
e. promote a multicultural, gender-fair, disability-sensitive society.
2020欧洲杯在线网址C. Every child is reading at or above grade level no later than the end of grade 3, including English learners, and teachers provide comprehensive, scientifically based reading instruction, including a program or collection of instructional [ practices that is based on valid, replicable evidence showing that, when the programs or practices are used, students can be expected to achieve, at a minimum, satisfactory reading progress. The program or collection of practices must include, at a minimum, effective, balanced instruction in all five areas of reading ( phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary development, and reading comprehension), as well as instructional strategies for continuously assessing, evaluating, and communicating the student’s reading progress and needs.
2020欧洲杯在线网址1. The school district shall identify, before the end of kindergarten, grade 1, and grade 2, students who are not reading at grade level before the end of the current school year. Reading assessments in English and in the predominant languages of district students, where practicable, must identify and evaluate students’ areas of academic need related to literacy. The school district also must monitor the progress and provide reading instruction appropriate to the specific needs of English learners. The school district must use locally adopted, developmentally appropriate, and culturally responsive assessment.
2. At least annually, the school district must give the parent of each student who is not reading at or above grade level timely information about:
a. student’s reading proficiency as measured by a locally adopted assessment;
3. For each student who is not reading at or above grade level, the school district shall provide reading intervention to accelerate student growth and reach the goal of reading at or above grade level by the end of the current grade and school year. Intervention methods shall encourage family engagement and, where possible, collaboration with appropriate school and community programs. Intervention methods may include, but are not limited to, requiring attendance in summer school, intensified reading instruction that may require that the student be removed from the regular classroom for part of the school day, extended day programs, or programs that strengthen students’ cultural connections.
- Minn. Stat. § 120B.018 (Definitions)
- Minn. Stat. § 120B.02 (Educational Expectations for Minnesota Students)
- Minn. Stat. § 120B.11 (School District Process)
- Minn. Stat. § 120B.12 (Reading Proficiently no Later than the End of Grade 3)
- Minn. Stat. § 120B.30, Subd. 1 (Statewide Testing and Reporting System)
- Minn. Stat. § 120B.35, Subd. 3 (Student Academic Achievement and Growth)
- Minn. Stat. § 122A.40, Subd. 8 (Employment; Contracts; Termination)
- Minn. Stat. § 122A.41, Subd. 5 (Teacher Tenure Act; Cities of the First Class; Definitions)
- Minn. Stat. § 123B.147, Subd. 3 (Principals)
- 20 U.S.C. § 5801, et seq. (National Education Goals 2000)
- 20 U.S.C. § 6301, et seq. (Every Student Succeeds Act)
- MSBA/MASA Model Policy 104 (School District Mission Statement)
- MSBA/MASA Model Policy 613 (Graduation Requirements)
- MSBA/MASA Model Policy 614 (School District Testing Plan and Procedure)
- MSBA/MASA Model Policy 615 (Basic Standards Testing, Accommodations, Modifications, and Exemptions for IEP, Section 504 Accommodation, and LEP Students)
- MSBA/MASA Model Policy 616 (School District System Accountability)
- MSBA/MASA Model Policy 618 (Assessment of Student Achievement)
Adopted: November 10, 2008
Revised: November 18, 2014
Revised: September 1, 2015
Reviewed: February 21, 2017
Revised: September 15, 2017