Policy 524 - Responsible Use Policy
The district’s Responsible Use Policy is to prevent unauthorized access and other unlawful activities by users online, prevent unauthorized disclosure of or access to sensitive information and to comply with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA), Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
A. In making decisions regarding student and employee access to the school district network, devices and internet
2020欧洲杯在线网址the school district considers our educational mission, goals, and objectives.
B. The district’s Responsible Use Policy is to prevent unauthorized access and other unlawful activities by users online, prevent unauthorized disclosure of or access to sensitive information and to comply with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA).
C. As used in this policy, “user” includes anyone using computers, tablets, internet, email, and all other forms of electronic communication or equipment provided by the district ( the “network”) regardless of the physical location of the user.
D. Access to the school district network and devices enables students and employees to explore the internet, thousands of libraries, databases, bulletin boards, and other resources while exchanging messages with people around the world.
2020欧洲杯在线网址E. The school district expects that employees and students will blend thoughtful use of the school district network and devices throughout the curriculum.
F. The school district uses technology protection measures to block or filter access, as much as reasonably possible, to visual and written depictions that are obscene, pornographic, or harmful to minors over the network. The District can and will monitor users’ online activities and access, review, copy, and store or delete any communications or files and share them with adults as necessary. Users should have no expectation of privacy regarding their use of District equipment, network, and/or Internet access or files, including email.
G. All electronic communications that are sent or received on the school district network are considered property of the school district.
H. The District will take all necessary measures to secure the network against potential cybersecurity threats. This may include blocking access to District applications, including, but not limited to, email, data management and reporting tools, and other web applications outside the United States.
I. The district will partner with parents and guardians to guide appropriate use of school-issued devices and internet resources inside and outside of the district.
III. ACCEPTABLE USES
2020欧洲杯在线网址A. Users are expected to use district Internet access through the district network to further educational and personal goals consistent with the mission of the school district and school policies.
B. The school district will provide instruction and guidance to students in the use of technology and Internet and other electronic resources for educational and informational purposes that enhance student learning such as research, instruction, collaborative education projects and other exploration on parts of the curriculum.
C. Use that encourages efficient, cooperative and creative methods to perform the user’s job duties or educational tasks.
2020欧洲杯在线网址D. Use related to instructional, administrative and other support activities considered consistent with the mission of the district.
E. Communication between staff, students, parents and guardians using digital tools intentionally supported by the district for professional communication to enhance or support student learning.
IV. USE OF SYSTEM IS A PRIVILEGE
The use of the school district system and access to use of the Internet is a privilege, not a right. Depending on the nature and degree of the violation and the number of previous violations, unacceptable use of the school district system or the Internet may result in one or more of the following consequences: suspension or cancellation of use or access privileges; payments for damages and repairs; discipline under other appropriate school district policies, including suspension, expulsion, exclusion, or termination of employment; or civil or criminal liability under other applicable laws.
V. UNACCEPTABLE USES
A. Users will not use the school district system or devices to access, review, upload, download, store, print, post, receive, transmit, or distribute pornographic, obscene, or sexually explicit material or other visual depictions that are harmful to minors.
2020欧洲杯在线网址B. Users will not use information or materials that could cause damage or danger of disruption to the educational process.
C. Users will not use the school district system to knowingly or recklessly post, transmit, or distribute false or defamatory information about a person or organization.
2020欧洲杯在线网址D. Users will not use the school district system to engage in any illegal act or violate any local, state, or federal statute or law.
2020欧洲杯在线网址E. Users will not use the school district system to vandalize, damage, or disable the property of another person or organization.
2020欧洲杯在线网址F. Users will not use the school district network or devices to post private information about another person, personal contact information about themselves, or other persons, or other personally identifiable information, including but not limited to, addresses, phone numbers, school addresses, work addresses, identification numbers, account numbers, access codes, passwords, labeled photographs, or other information that would make the individual’s identify easily traceable, and will not repost a message that was sent to the user privately without permission of the person who sent the message.
2020欧洲杯在线网址G. Users will not use the school district system to gain unauthorized access to information resources or to access another person’s materials, information, or file.
H. Users will not use the school district system to violate copyright laws or usage licensing agreements, or otherwise to use another person’s property without the person’s prior approval or proper citation, including the downloading or exchanging of pirated software or copying software to or from any school device and will not plagiarize works they find on the internet.
2020欧洲杯在线网址I. A student or employee engaging in the foregoing unacceptable uses of the Internet when off school district premises also may be in violation of this policy as well as other school district policies.
J. Users will not use the school district system to engage in bullying or cyberbullying in violation of the school district’s Bullying Prohibition Policy ( Princeton Policy 514). This prohibition includes using any technology or other electronic communication off school premises to the extent that student learning or the school environment is substantially and materially disrupted.
VI. CONSISTENCY WITH OTHER SCHOOL POLICIES
Use of the school district system and use of the Internet shall be consistent with school district policies and the mission of the school district. Misconduct will result in the imposition of discipline consistent with the seriousness of the misconduct.
VII. INTERNET USE AGREEMENT
2020欧洲杯在线网址The proper use of the Internet, and the educational value to be gained from proper Internet use, is the joint responsibility of students, parents, and employees of the school district.
VIII. IMPLEMENTATION; POLICY REVIEW
2020欧洲杯在线网址A. The school district administration may develop appropriate user notification forms, guidelines, and procedures necessary to implement this policy.
2020欧洲杯在线网址B. The school district Internet policies and procedures are available for review by all parents, guardians, staff, and members of the community.
C. Because of the rapid changes in the development of the Internet, the school board shall conduct an annual review of this policy.
- 15 U.S.C. § 6501 et seq. (Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act)
- 17 U.S.C. § 101 et seq. (Copyrights)
- 20 U.S.C. § 6751 et seq. (Enhancing Education through Technology Act of 2001)
- 47 U.S.C. § 254 (Children’s Internet Protection Act of 2000 (CIPA))
- 47 C.F.R. § 54.520 (FCC rules implementing CIPA)
- Minn. Stat. § 121A.0695 (School Board Policy; Prohibiting Intimidation and Bullying)
- Minn. Stat. § 125B.15 (Internet Access for Students)
- Minn. Stat. § 125B.26 (Telecommunications/Internet Access Equity Act)
- Tinker v. Des Moines Indep. Cmty. Sch. Dist., 393 U.S. 503, 89 S.Ct. 733, 21 L.Ed.2d 731 (1969)
- United States v. Amer. Library Assoc., 539 U.S. 194, 123 S.Ct. 2297, 56 L.Ed.2d 221 (2003)
- Doninger v. Niehoff, 527 F.3d 41 (2nd Cir. 2008)
- R.S. v. Minnewaska Area Sch. Dist. No. 2149, No. 12-588, 2012 WL 3870868 (D. Minn. 2012)
- Tatro v. Univ. of Minnesota, 800 N. W. 2d811 (Minn. App. 2011), aff’d on other grounds 816 N.W.2d 509 (Minn. 2012)
- S.J.W. v. Lee’s Summit R-7 Sch. Dist., 696 F.3d 771 (8th Cir. 2012)524-11
- Kowalski v. Berkeley Cnty Sch., 652 F.3d 656 (4th Cir. 2011)2011)
- Layshock v. Hermitage Sch. Dist., 650 F.3d 205 (3rd Cir. 2011)
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays, Inc. v. Camdenton R-III Sch. Dist., 853 F.Supp.2d 888 (W.D. Mo. 2012)
- M.T. v. Cent. York Sch. Dist., 937 A.2d 538 (Pa. Commw. Ct. 2007)
- J.S. v. Bethlehem Area Sch. Dist., 807 A.2d 847 (Pa. 2002)
- Princeton Public School Policy 403 (Discipline, Suspension, and Dismissal of School District Employees)
- Princeton Public School Policy 406 (Public and Private Personnel Data)
- Princeton Public School Policy 506 (Student Discipline)
- Princeton Public School Policy 514 (Bullying Prohibition Policy)
- Princeton Public School Policy 515 (Protection and Privacy of Pupil Records)
- Princeton Public School Policy 519 (Interviews of Students by Outside Agencies)
- Princeton Public School Policy 521 (Student Disability Nondiscrimination)
- Princeton Public School Policy 522 (Student Sex Nondiscrimination)
- Princeton Public School Policy 526 (Hazing Prohibition)
- Princeton Public School Policy 603 (Curriculum Development)
- Princeton Public School Policy 606 (Textbooks and Instructional Materials)
- Princeton Public School Policy 806 (Crisis Management Policy)
- Princeton Public School Policy 904 (Distribution of Materials on School District Property by Non School Persons)
- Technology Procedure Manual
- Sheninger, E. C. (2017). Learning Transformed: 8 Keys to Designing Tomorrow's Schools, Today. ASCD.
- LA Unified School District Policy 999.11 (Responsible Use Policy for District Computer and Network Systems)
Adopted: February 26, 2002
Adopted: February 22, 2005
Revised: December 8, 2009
Reviewed: March 22, 2011
Revised: March 13, 2012
Revised: September 2, 2014
Revised: September 1, 2015
Revised: April, 18 2017
Revised: May 21, 2019